PRESENTATION ON LOCAL CERAMICS
Throughout the year, “Keramion” curates and presents educational programmes on local ceramics. These programmes give families, schoolchildren of all levels, students and groups of adults, the opportunity to see a twenty-minute presentation in the exhibition area. This is an introduction to ceramic art that includes historical references and details of the techniques used by local potters in ancient times.
SEMINAR ON CERAMICS
There is also a programme, in the form of a seminar, which goes into detail on the materials and tools used to make Cretan pottery and the various stages in making Cretan ceramics.
In more detail, the programme includes:
- A visit – tour of the oldest workshops in the village, following a beautiful route from the southern exit of the village to the area of Livadi.
- Extracting the raw materials, the “schist”and the earth, from the mountain area and making clay with these materials in the open-air workshop.
- A detailed presentation of the stages in making ancient ceramic vessels which gives attendees an understanding of how vessels with different parts were made.
- Decorating ceramics with traditional patterns, using a sheep’s wool brush (plokos), and polishing them with pebbles.
- A presentation of the cylindrical wood-firing kiln and how it is used, providing that there is pottery to be fired.
- An introduction to the forms and uses of old ceramic pitchers.
The length of the seminar, the number of participants and the cost of participation are determined when finalising arrangements.
GETTING IN TOUCH WITH LOCAL CERAMICS
For anyone who wants to take part in a one-hour experiential workshop that includes a short introduction to local pottery and making pottery vases by hand or with a potter’s wheel. The participation fee is 15 € per person.